Piano Teacher, Accompanist, Composer, Performer
Lives in Paris & Malérargues, France
Listening. This is where I feel at home and where my personal research and work starts from. ‘How do I hear myself/others?’ or ‘How do I listen to myself/others?’: many different qualities change how we listen, and consequently affect the voice in the working process. I include the piano in my work, understanding this instrument as a second voice which can create not only the atmosphere and give the right pitch, but can touch the timbre of each voice and both can go together to the depth of the human soul.
Sašo Vollmaier (1982), pianist, composer, performer, teacher graduated from the Academy of Music in Ljubljana (Slovenia) in 2008 – professor of piano.
In 2005 he met “Pantheatre” (Paris, FR). This collaboration opened new area and possibilities about the voice work which he followed after as an accompanist for singers, worked in Slovene National Theatre in Maribor – opera department, teaching in different musical institutions and playing with several musicians in different musical formations.
He joined the Slovenian avant-garde music group Laibach in 2007 – 2013 as a keyboard player. The experience with Laibach was crucial in understanding the elements of the industrial music, curiosity about politics, awareness of oneself and the opportunity to express himself in this particular musical genre.
In 2013 he moved to France for a change and development. He met with Viviane Gay, an actress with whom he started developing his presence on the stage as a performer trough his voice, movement and music. The voice work brought him to Malérargues again where he started to give classes, collaborating with other voice teachers and giving the concerts and performances.
In the same year he begins the project called “Generation” as a musical director with performers/singers: Kaya Anderson, Carol Mendelsohn, Marianne Le Tron, Ian Magilton, Saule Ryan and David Goldsworthy. This project allowed him to meet the Roy Hart Theatre in terms of the power of the presence, fragility, expression, authenticity, curiosity…
In autumn 2014 he started to teach in Accademia dell’Arte in Arezzo (IT) invited by Kevin Crawford, MFA program director. Vollmaier teaches musical aspects, encourages the students to invent their own language (in many different meanings), working on presence, voice and movement. This structure allows him to define his direction. In the same year he started to collaborate with Susanne Weins, giving the voice/movement workshops in Düsseldorf and creating their own theatre productions (Bewegte Oktaven, Fragile Breath, Melancholia,…) most of them directed by Sabine Seume.
He works as a voice teacher mainly in France, Germany, Italy and Brazil.
“Electric Unicorn” is the name of electro-acoustic project created by three completely different personalities (I. Leitinger, L. Jamnik, S. Vollmaier) in 2013 with different musical backgrounds.
Vollmaier’s accomplishments include theatre and cartoon scores, choral arrangements, marching orchestras, big bands, playing as a studio musician (Laibach, Bratko Bibič, Silence, Funtango, radio/TV broadcastings,…)
Sašo is working with several Roy Hart Voice Teachers as collaborator, pianist, student, performer, musical director.
He speaks Slovenian, English and French.
– ‘On voulait tout casser’, Movie by Philippe Guillard (music:Maxime Lebidois & Roméo Guillard), piano (2015)
– Nika Vistoropski: Ljuba, piano & voice (2015)
– Laibach: Spectre, industrial (2014)
– Laibach: Iron Sky, industrial (2013)
– Bratko Bibič & The Madleys: Kabinet čudes Brutka Bimbiča, Avant-Garde, international, classical, experimental (2013)
– Polona Kasal: Na cesti, electronic, indie, nu-wave (2013)
– Laibach: Monumental Retro-Avant-Garde, Live at Tate Modern, industrial (2012)
– Laibach: Revisited, industrial
– Silence: Musical Accompaniment For The End Of The World, alternative (2012)
– Zbudimo Kralja Matjazza, world, folk, experimental (2011)
– New Creatives: Soul Food, soul, funk (2009)
– Funtango: History, tango (2008)
– Sonja Lovrenčič: Filomundus, world, cabaret, jazz(2006)
– Haim Isaacs: The hole in the wall, world, experimental (2006)