Interdisciplinary theatre/performance artist, astrologer, writer
Currently living in (place) / vivant à (Ville) Brooklyn, NYC (USA)
I explore the intersection of the vocal & imaginal dimensions of the performer. Its references include PanTheatre, postmodern dance, deep image poetry & acoustic ecology.
My performances blend astrological writing with soundscapes, improvisation & extended range singing. Mythology & mediumship play integral roles.
When I teach, I explore the dynamics of Image through six pathways to the deep imagination of the student in theory & practice. I set up solo & group improvisations aimed toward a delightful dance with ancestors, oral tradition & mythic inquiry.
Nate Speare is an interdisciplinary theatre artist, writer, astrologer & mythologist. He is the Co-Artistic Director (with Ana Cantorán Viramontes) of Nekyia Theatre, a laboratory that devises contemporary works in performance, sound, mythology & magic (based in Brooklyn, NY, & Puebla, Mexico). He holds an MFA in Contemporary Performance from Naropa University. He has worked for over a decade with PanTheatre, with whom he was an artist-in-residence at the Roy Hart Centre in the summer of 2011, creating “We Died of Thirst,” an award-winning solo performance directed by Enrique Pardo.
Nate has created & toured extensive original works as a solo performance artist, creating his own experimental vocal performances exploring connections between natural environmental sound & extended singing ranges.
As an astrologer, Nate leads Mythopoetic Astrology, a private counseling & astrological forecasting practice that integrates Jungian psychological & archetypal approaches. Nate has worked for years in public school classrooms in NYC teaching students with disabilities, using the arts as a tool for social-emotional learning, & has co-facilitated a therapeutic storytelling program at Rikers Island prison facility. Other teaching & lecturing credits include Salem Summer Symposium (Massachusetts) Myth and Theatre Festival (Malerargues), and C.G. Jung Institute NYC. In Malérargues, he has trained with Enrique Pardo, Linda Wise, Daniela Garcia, Ethelyn Friend, Jonathan Hart-Makwaia, Carol Mendelsohn and Saule Ryan.
He teaches in English, Spanish.
– Horoscopes and astrologically inspired writings: https://mythopoeticastrology.com/blog-feed/
– Published article “Towards Hekate: The Prophetic Torches at the Crossroads of Meaning” in Walking the Worlds: A Biannual Journal of Polytheism & Spiritwork. https://walkingtheworlds.com/issues/
– Lecture, “Shifting Folklore, Shifting Astrologies” at the Queer Astrology Conference 2020: https://qac.queerastrology.com/topic/shifting-folklore-shifting-astrologies/
– Performance, “On the Pluto Return of the USA” at Queer Astrology Conference 2020: https://qac.queerastrology.com/topic/psycho-magic-ritual-ushering-in-the-pluto-return-of-the-united-states/
– Forecast for the astrological transits of 2020 at the Eyes of Learning, December 2019: https://soundcloud.com/user-69945733/planetary-transits-of-2020-lecture-by-nate-speare-at-the-eyes-of-learning-december-13-2019
– Trailer for the performance of “We Died of Thirst,” PanTheatre, Malérargues, 2011: https://youtu.be/FHM-4u6Y38I