Through body and voice, the performer lives, feels, processes. Body and mind “unite in an effort to live more consciously, through the medium of creative Art” (Roy Hart, 1967). This form of meditation in action, placing one’s attention on the instant, is shaped by creative impulse and process.
In “Performing Beyond the I,” we will explore approaches to transcending the individualistic rut into which artistic research can lead us. We will engage in a working relationship with the forces that surround us, listening deeply to them. We will ask: what needs to be sung, manifested, embodied? What needs to be spoken as an act of service to our environment? Becoming a channel, we will release ourselves from self-doubt and fears of unworthiness, because it is not about “I”. From the void, we will listen and do what needs to be done.
We will explore creative impulses through voice, text, movement and imagination. Maryline will focus on movement, voice and musicality, rooted in the human voice practice from the Roy Hart Centre, including diverse voice techniques (bel canto, jazz singing, musical comedy, experimental improvisation…) She will guide some mindful meditation sessions.
Nate will offer compositional tools toward the creation of images in performance, working at the boundaries between text, sound, image, space, gesture and objects. He will offer practices grounded in his work with environmental soundscapes, experimental voice performance, Pantheatre and Viewpoints, and his work with mythic/archetypal images as an astrologer.
We will listen with our five senses and also with the inner ear – not only to realms that are physically tangible, but also to the realm of intuition, soul and shadow… Following the flow, we will create a bridge between listening to the ecosystem that surrounds us and forming an imaginative response to it. This dialogue between the outer and the inner will lead us to performance and instant composition.
To prepare for the workshop, please learn a text by heart (that you wrote or from an author that you feel “needs to be said”). Bring some sound recordings of the place where you live: city, countryside, animal sounds, voices of people you live or work with, etc. (recorded on your mobile phone or any other recorder, mp3 format). If you wish, bring your musical instrument if you play one.
Please note that a place in a workshop or course is only confirmed after recept of a deposit.
- Please send the enrolment form with a deposit of 120 euros for the workshop plus the total for accommodation, if you have booked a place in a gîte at Malérargues.
- Bookings will be taken into account only when full payment has been received.
- The prices shown for the workshops, unless otherwise noted, are for the courses only: food is not provided unless also specified.
- The deadline for withdrawing from a workshop is one month before the start date of a course or workshop. We regret that no re-imbursments of deposits can be made after this date. Prior to this date, the deposit will be re-imbursed less 30 euros for administrative costs.
- The Centre reserves the right to cancel a workshop if there are not enough participants. In this case the deposit will be fully re-funded.
- If you are reserving by the e-mail form below, please be sure to send your deposit on the same day as you send the form. We will temporarily hold you a place for four days.
- The CAIRH being an association, all workshop participants must be members. The membership fee is €20 per year.
GUEST HOUSING AND APPARTMENTS
La Salindre / Soudorgues (8 km from the Center)
Tansen R. Mundt, Maria Bernhold, Tel. (+33) 4 66 85 23 51 / www.lasalindre.eu
Le Mas de Prades / (2 km from the Center)
Patrick and Sophie Auvray, Tel. (+33) 4 66 85 09 00 / (+33) 6 20 72 28 31 (with swimming pool)
Les Jardins de Valaurie / Anduze (12 km from the Center)
Tel. (+33) 4 66 61 62 85
Gîte rural Calviac / (3 km from the Center)
Mr Jacques SOULIER Tel : (+33) 4 66 85 12 48 / 06 77 79 59 11 / e-mail
Des fées et des geste(s) / Attuech (15 km from the Center)
Clémence ALDEBERT, Claude GESTE. Tél : 04 66 60 35 20 / e-mail / www.gite-anduze-gard.fr
“Au Ruisseau de Rose’ (Chambres d’hôtes) St Jean du Gard (10 km from the Center)
Tel : (+33) 4 66 54 51 07 or e-mail or www.ruisseauderose.fr
La ferme ‘Le Martinet’ (Chambres d’hôtes) Thoiras (3 km from the Center)
Tel : (+33) 6 07 54 61 57 or e-mail or www.masdumartinet.fr
‘La Cure’ Gite d’étape/ Lasalle (5 km from the Center)
Tel : (+33) 6 30 47 82 62 or e-mail
Filament (2 km)
Tél: (+33) 4 66 85 20 52
La Salendrinque (Lasalle 4 km)
Tél: (+33) 4 66 85 24 57 / fax (+33) 4 66 85 41 50
Le Campement (3 km) Calviac
Tél. (+33) 4 66 85 13 58 Email : e-mail
Les Hauts de Labahou, RD907, 30140 Anduze
Tél : (+33) 04 66 61 77 90 / 06 03 93 38 88
Sourire du Sud’ (mini camping et gîtes)
Tél (+33) 06 79 99 98 85