What moves you? What moves you to voice? To sing? To create? And what holds you back?
As performers, we sometimes find ourselves singing in fear of our emotions. We’re fearful of being overwhelmed by our emotions and of losing control of our voices, viewing emotion as a hindrace to artistic expression. When we sing a song or improvise, our expectations of ourselves are enormous and we focus more on what we want to achieve rather than on what we might discover.Have you ever wondered what music might be hiding within your voice? What voices and emotions might be revealed by venturing into new musical landscapes? How to manage emotions in the process? In this workshop, we will focus on the relationship between emotion and musicality in vocal improvisation. We will explore specific emotions and their energetic sounding qualities and the fire and water they carry. We will also learn to experience emotions that are simply there in the present, and how tuning into our moment-to-moment emotional life can actually move us toward exciting vocal discoveries. Our emotions can help us release physical tension and open up hidden potential in the voice. They can become our guides, leading us to what we have to say on a deeper level, beyond what we think we want. When we allow our emotions to move through our voices, we find a wealth of creativity to inspire original melodies and poetry, or bring fresh authenticity to our interpretation of a song.
Through musical accompaniment – piano, percussion, and/or voice – Maryline, Audrey, and Andrès will support and guide each student’s personal vocal journey through emotions, beyond any aesthetic expectations or traditions. We invite you to see what happens when you let yourself be taught by the music itself.
Through collective and individual guided improvisation we will explore new ways of relating to music and discover how musicality appears in the emotions that surface. Rather than feeling stuck in our emotions, we will develop imaginative and technical skills that allow the performer to find ways for free vocal and musical expression.
Along the way you will be guided towards a final performance where students and teachers will give a public presentation featuring improvisation. Please prepare a song that moves you: something meaningful to you that you are also willing to explore playfully with others. We may use the songs in the performance, or they may serve as inspiration for original work.
Day 1: 9.30 AM – 12.30 PM / 2.30 – 5.30 PM
Day 2 – 7: 9.30 AM – 1 PM / 3.00 – 5.30 PM
Jour 8: 9.30 AM – 12.30 PM / 2.30 – 5.30 PM / 7.00 – 8.00 PM (performance)
Jour 9: 10.00 AM – 12.30 PM / 2.30 – 5.00 PM
Please note that a place in a workshop or course is only confirmed after recept of a deposit.
- Please send the enrolment form with a deposit of 120 euros for the workshop plus the total for accommodation, if you have booked a place in a gîte at Malérargues.
- Bookings will be taken into account only when full payment has been received.
- The prices shown for the workshops, unless otherwise noted, are for the courses only: food is not provided unless also specified.
- The deadline for withdrawing from a workshop is one month before the start date of a course or workshop. We regret that no re-imbursments of deposits can be made after this date. Prior to this date, the deposit will be re-imbursed less 30 euros for administrative costs.
- The Centre reserves the right to cancel a workshop if there are not enough participants. In this case the deposit will be fully re-funded.
- If you are reserving by the e-mail form below, please be sure to send your deposit on the same day as you send the form. We will temporarily hold you a place for four days.
- The CAIRH being an association, all workshop participants must be members. The membership fee is €30 per year.
GUEST HOUSING AND APPARTMENTS
La Salindre / Soudorgues (8 km from the Center)
Tansen R. Mundt, Maria Bernhold, Tel. (+33) 4 66 85 23 51 / www.lasalindre.eu
Le Mas de Prades / (2 km from the Center)
Patrick and Sophie Auvray, Tel. (+33) 4 66 85 09 00 / (+33) 6 20 72 28 31 (with swimming pool)
Gîte rural Calviac / (3 km from the Center)
Mr Jacques SOULIER Tel : (+33) 4 66 85 12 48 / 06 77 79 59 11
“Au Ruisseau de Rose’ (Chambres d’hôtes) St Jean du Gard (10 km from the Center)
Tel : (+33) 4 66 54 51 07 or www.ruisseauderose.fr
La ferme ‘Le Martinet’ (Chambres d’hôtes) Thoiras (3 km from the Center)
Tel : (+33) 6 07 54 61 57 or e-mail or www.masdumartinet.fr
‘La Cure’ Gite d’étape/ Lasalle (5 km from the Center)
Tel : (+33) 6 30 47 82 62
Filament (2 km)
Tél: (+33) 4 66 85 20 52
La Salendrinque (Lasalle 4 km)
Tél: (+33) 4 66 85 24 57 / fax (+33) 4 66 85 41 50
Le Campement (3 km) Calviac
Tél. (+33) 4 66 85 13 58 Email : e-mail
Les Hauts de Labahou, RD907, 30140 Anduze
Tél : (+33) 04 66 61 77 90 / 06 03 93 38 88
Sourire du Sud’ (mini camping et gîtes)
Tél (+33) 06 79 99 98 85